I am very lucky. My day job means that I get to travel a lot and so I’ve been fortunate enough in my life to see the world. I’m also extremely grateful that my company makes me as comfortable as possible when I am on the road. So I don’t mean to sound ungrateful when I say that often the hardest part of travelling for me is the havoc it can wreak on my body, my skin, my mind. It is physically and mentally exhausting taking long haul flights, so I am always in constant search and refinement of ‘the perfect travel regime’. I want to walk off the flight feeling fresh, rested, hydrated and ready for the working day (which is often the day of arrival). So here, as my gift to you, is my perfect travel regime:
The Preparation (Pre-Flight):
- Start upping the water intake pre-travel. I love to have Vita Coco coconut water for extra levels of hydration.
- Go to net-a-porter.com and purchase Kora Organics Revitalizing Body Pack (you’ll see why later)
- You are more likely to catch a cold on a flight so before you are due to leave ensure that you have added vitamin C and B-Complex vitamins to help boost your immune system.
- Stock up on healthy snacks for the plane. Raw nuts, seeds, dried fruit…you get the gist.
- Pack comfy clothes to change into on the flight – it will definitely aid sleep. And a sleeping mask and some cosey slippers or socks will help too. I personally am always freezing on flights so layers are key.
- I always have a substantial meal before I board (I can’t stand airline food – it doesn’t look like food or smell like food and quite frankly if you’ve ever sat close enough to the galley where you can hear the noise when they blitz your dinner in their industrial microwaves before it is served to you is enough to put you off for life). I make sure I eat lean protein (chicken or fish), some wholegrain bread or brown rice and a leafy green salad (nutrient dense and hydrating).
It’s the Journey, not the Destination (On board):
- I always avoid alcohol, caffeine or soda. These will only serve to dehydrate you further. Instead make sure you have water with you and you are constantly drinking it!
- Steer clear of salty snacks offered to you and instead go for fruit or some of your pre-packed healthy snacks.
- My favourite plane product is Miranda Kerr’s Kora Organics Calming Lavender Mist. Spritz this to soothe and refresh your skin (thanks to Noni extract and essential oils). Not only does it provide antioxidant protection but will also reduce stress and promote restful sleep. This stuff is flight HEAVEN.
- Catch as many Zzzzz’s as possible!
The Ritual (Post-flight):
- Drink water. A lot of water. Then drink some more water.
- If you arrive in the morning and have to face the day then take a shower (energising is key here). If you arrive at night then take a bath (unwinding is key here). Now repeat after me:
– Unpack your pre-purchased Kora Organics Revitalizing Body Pack
– Hop in the shower and gently massage in the exfoliating cream. Not only will you buff away the flight but your newly soft and supple skin will be renewed and radiant
– If you are having a bath then add a few drops of the Luxurious Rosehip Body Oil for an ultra moisturising bath or otherwise post shower warm a few drops in your hands and rub all over your body for super hydrated and illuminated skin. Rosehip Oil is rich in Vitamin C and is super moisturising and good on sensitive skin
– If you don’t use the oil then go for the Enriched Body Lotion. Quite simply it is THE BEST all over body lotion I have ever used. It contains organically grown jojoba, Noni Extract, Cocoa Butter and Macadamia that help soften and protect the skin from harmful free radicals.
– Finally spritz some Energising Citrus Mist onto your clean, fresh skin. Bergamot (my absolute fave smell), orange and mandarin are combined with aloe vera, sandalwood and of course Noni extract to revitalise your senses and leave you feeling uplifted. (If it’s night time and I have taken a bath then opt for the Lavender mist)
Et Voila! My long haul travel regime.
I would like to add that despite our antipodean roots there is not a ‘down under’ bias towards Miranda Kerr’s Kora Organics product. I would say it is more Aussie pride. Honestly speaking, it is hands down the most supreme skin care product I have ever used. Miranda has made this product from her heart. It is her passion. And it shows. Every product has soul. And it works. Thank GOODNESS net-a-porter is helping a UK sister out by stocking it online. I’ve said it from the beginning – life is much simpler in our little part of the world affectionately known as ‘down under’. We nourish our bodies, our mind and our spirit and these products are a true testament to that notion.